What is UV (Ultraviolet Radiation)?
- UV radiation is a normal component of sunlight but the amount reaching the earth has been increasing with the thinning of the atmospheric ozone layer.
- Ultraviolet radiation is referred to as invisible light and falls into three categories – UVA, UVB and UVC.
- UVC is absorbed by our ozone layer leaving us exposed to both UVA and UVB.
- UV radiation causes sun burn, certain types of skin cancers and can be damaging to the eye if exposed for a prolonged time.
- Cumulative exposure to UV radiation causes cataracts, pterygium, wrinkles and skin some cancer.
UV radiation from sunlight is more intense in tropical areas and usually more intense between the hours of 10 a.m. and 2p.m. People in the tropics (e.g. Caribbean) areas develop cataracts at an earlier age than other regions.
How can we protect our eyes from UV-Rays?
We can protect our eyes from UV damage by using optically tested sunglasses that are treated with UV absorbers.
What are Polarized Lenses?
- Polarized lenses offer superior “glare” protection and reduces “blinding” glare from flat surfaces such as roads, water and the windscreens of cars.
- Blinding Glare – This is when light hits a flat surface it is reflected horizontally and becomes more concentrated.
- A Polarised lens filters out this horizontal “blinding glare” to produce sharper and more crisp object details.
What are the benefits of using UV lenses and Polarized sunglasses?
- Blocks UV Radiation
- Ideal eye protection for sunbathing
- Reduces the intensity of reflected light
- Filters out blind glare
- Allows the wearer to see colours naturally
- Visual comfort and clarity
- Decrease driving fatigue and increase driving safety
- Ideal for fishing and water sports
How do you properly care for sunglasses?
- Some tips are -do not dry wipe lenses
- Do not store sunglasses on the dashboard of your vehicle
- Regularly wash frame and lenses with a mild solution of dishwashing liquid and water
- Service your sunglasses as recommended by your optical provider
- Use lens solution and microfiber cleaning cloths